WIP Wednesday: Jaywalking

I love variegated yarns.

That said, I'm not too fond of how they look in a lot of stitch patterns. And there's no consistency at all, some look great in basketweave but terrible as a cable. Some make pretty good cables but disgusting lace. And there's no way to tell what yarn goes with what pattern without swatching (and swearing) a million and one times. Yeeargh.

The one pattern I've found that looks great in just about every yarn is the zigzag stitch, made famous by Grumperina's Jaywalkers. You get interesting skinny stripes without knitting miles and miles of stockinette.

One of my first socks was the Jaywalker-inspired Skywalkers. Because they had to fit Y's massive clodhoppers and because I wanted to do them "my way", I pretty much took the idea of Jaywalkers and ran with it, ending up with a completely different sock.

This time, I decided to do them the "right" way. I started with Knit One Crochet Too's Soxx Appeal in Raspberry Sundae. I've heard Jaywalkers tend to not stretch much, so I was hoping the elastic in the yarn would help me get a well-fitting sock without having to make it big and saggy.

I have the first sock done, and it fits great! The heel is snug but not too snug. The colors are awesome, they really pop when I go out in the sun.

Overall, a lovely pattern and fun to knit.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment