Fiber Friday: Something Old, Something New

"Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue"

-Old Wedding Proverb

I think I've got all my bases covered.

In November, I went to a needlework festival and bought a few ounces of Colonial wool top:



Some of it I spun right away:


But the rest languished in my stash until recently.

A few days ago, I had a spinning kick. Since my usual spindle was still packed up (I just finished moving), I borrowed a dowel rod and a couple of CDs from my dad and got going. I ended up with a beautiful new single, in a lovely shade of navy blue.

After tracking down my own spindle, I plied the newly-spun blue single with the old grey one to get a very-full spindle of bulky 2ply yarn.

Once I got the yarn washed and skeined, I noticed how much my spinning has improved in such a short amount of time. My finished yarn has hardly any excess twist, and doesn't worm at all when two strands are held together. I've learned to be more intuitive as I spin, making the yarn the thickness and amount of twist it wants to be rather than trying to force it to be something it's not. I'm still not very good at getting a consistent thickness unless I do a lot of predrafting, but that will come with time.


The finished yarn
is called "Heidi", because I plied it while watching "Project Runway". There are 46 yards, weight of 2 oz, and it's bulky (7 wpi). Outdoor photos taken with a crepe myrtle bush.

I don't know what to make with it yet. It's very fuzzy, so nothing that needs to be durable. I was thinking of perhaps a hat or a neckwarmer (like a Pidge).

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment