FO! FO! FO! FO!

Last week for my Design and Graphics class, I was given an assignment to create a three-dimensional collage/model out of the following materials:

  • Chipboard
  • Corrugated cardboard
  • Balsa wood
  • Bass wood
  • Styrofoam
  • Polymer Clay
  • Fabric I
  • Fabric II
  • Sheet Metal
  • Wire
Fabric? That means fiber, right? Yes!

My concept for the project was to integrate the materials by weaving them together. Here's a snippet from the text I put in my portfolio:

Ten distinct materials, melded into one cohesive whole through weaving techniques. Each element either penetrates or is penetrated by another material, so that the finished model holds together with very little use of glue.

Intersecting planes, lines, and forms work together to create distinct spaces that are at the same time open to one another. From almost any viewing angle, each material is visible.

Dimensions: 8" x 8" x 2"



The solid-looking panel on top is woven.




The lacy-looking panel on the bottom is filet crochet, worked into a chipboard frame.

My professor and TAs were impressed. They found it interesting that I managed to "weave" a seemingly-unrelated part of myself into my architectural work. Sadly, I broke the sheet metal off during my presentation, but it's easily fixed.

There are more pictures on Flickr.

Happy Knitting :)
--
J, who is working on her second all-nighter in a row.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment